Tuesday 6 October 2009

Too Dark To Win

Sorry peeps,
But those who know me, know that this rant was gonna come.

So, had a very interesting discussion with a member of staff a few weeks ago (Maybe that's why I was asked to leave, who knows), but nevertheless the topic of discussion was Keisha Buchanan of the sugababes, and her paler replacement Jade Ewen.

Basically, the discussion kinda started off with me stating that there is no point in me following a band/group that did not represent me, when initially starting off, they did. Especially girl bands.

We seen it all before.

When you are deemed "Too Ethnic" and you're female, then you pretty much have a lifespan of about 4 years in the music business.

What do I mean about being "Too Ethnic"??? Let's get this straight and clear. Example:

Beyonce Knowles - Exotic and Acceptable

Kelly Rowland - Too Ethnic

Jade Ewen - Exotic and Acceptable

Keisha Buchanan - Too Ethnic

Leona Lewis - Exotic and Acceptable

Alexandra Burke - Too Ethnic (Lifespan ensue)

Mariah Carey prior breakdown - Exotic and Acceptable

Mariah Carey after breakdown - Too Ethnic

What I'm saying is that in the music business, you cannot have too many darker in complexion women all at the same time.
Why? Hell if I know for sure, but if you look back over a period of time, the more successful women of colour in music were considered acceptable for a while... Mica Paris, Keisha Buchanan.... damn look, I'm stumped.

Socially, or in society, we (darker berries) are deemed as:

Aggressive
Angry
Incapable of Love
Emotionless
Ugly
Unattractive
Unintelligent
Resentful
Pretty much all the negatives that you can think of for a woman.

Probably another reason for the fact that I am celibate.

Opinions of darker women are that they're not worth the hassle, and from what I can see, that opinion is one that we can try our hardest to shift, but alas....

Maybe in a few centuries from now, the opinions may change.

But for now..... Don't expect anyone new to come on the seen (media) who happens to be a darker berry.

Part 2 to follow.

1 comment:

  1. I don't quite see how the celibacy relates, but MAYBE the second part will tie it all in.

    Good observation, and it's true for the most part.

    ReplyDelete